Tuesday, January 17, 2012

This one's for you, gentlemen!

Okay, so I have to admit, I can keep up with the latest trends and tell you what looks good and what doesn't, but when it comes to men's clothing, I'm not quite sure about all of the "rules."

Women's clothing is a completely different animal - I know it inside and out because I live it! But men's clothing - not so much. I don't wear it (so I don't know how it feels on), I don't purchase it (except for my husband (so I don't know what feels important to have), and most importantly, I'm not a man (so I can't quite tell you how men feel about men's clothing).

But, I have done my research. As an image consultant, I work with women AND MEN to help them achieve their BEST style so that they can look and feel good NOW. In order to do this, I not only need to know the trends in men's fashion, but also the basics.

While shopping for a man the other day, I came across many trends that I love this season and that I think look great on guys. I love the pops of color, the shoes, the narrower ties, the knit ties, the casual sports coats, leather jackets, patterns... there's a lot to love!











So there are some of the fun spring trends... but what about the basics. I am not going to pretend like I don't need a good reminder of these! Here is an article, courtesy of www.shirtsandties.org that has some great advice for how to pick and choose what to wear... and when! 


1. Good grooming is all-important: clean hair, clean nails, clean teeth.  Clean is sexy. Your goal is to look touchable, likeable and squeaky clean. A great smile is your most valuable accessory.
2. Show some Effort.  Dress like you're going on a date and spend some time  picking out your clothes. You can even mention that you dressed up for her, she'll love it.
3.  Never wear clothes that make you feel uncomfortable. Regardless of the trend of the season, it won’t work for you if it feels contrived.
4.  When in doubt, a sport coat will take you anywhere. Either solid navy, gray or black or else a subtle plaid or pinstripe, a sport coat adds authority to jeans and khakis, and often scores as strongly as a suit. Just make sure it fits (and never button the bottom button!)
5.  Soft faded jeans and a white oxford shirt. With or without a necktie, this is a simple sexy look that always gets the girl. (To seal the deal, wear a cool belt!)
6. Interesting socks. Not silly socks with pin-up girls necessarily but something with a little color, a little pattern, a little personality. (Interesting socks will make you seem interesting, even if you’re not…)
7. Make a Statement. Wear something that sets you apart and something that she'll notice. A great watch, cool belt buckle or a "cause" wristband are all good choices.
8. Accessorize your Wallet.  Carry a thin leather wallet and for BONUS POINTS carry a picture of your dog and let the picture slip out when you go to play the bill. Everyone loves a dog lover!
9. Great shoes. Unfortunately, you usually get what your pay for in footwear so you might have to spend a little money here. And while most conservative guys go for black leather, brown looks great with neutral-color pants and even denim.  Read our lips: No athletic shoes unless you have a tennis date.
10. A good watch speaks volumes. If you can’t afford a classic Rolex or Patek, check out the re-sale shops. Vintage is in.
11. A beautiful tie that picks up the color of your eyes. Women like neckties. A great looking tie is a great ice breaker and will always draw a compliment.
12. A cashmere scarf, also in the color of your eyes.
13. A slim-cut suit. We said slim, not tight. And make it the best you can afford. You won’t be sorry, we promise.


Happy styling, guys!

Xo, Kristin @ Kristin Golden Image Consulting

www.kristingolden.com

No comments:

Post a Comment