Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Accessories for Men


I could go on and on about things I love - accessories, products, clothes, brands, styles... and I do. But, since the holidays are upon us and many of us have men in our lives that WANT style, without saying it in so many words, I thought I would give my two cents about men's fashion and style. 

I happen to have a wonderful husband who has come to appreciate fashion throughout the course of my career. No, he still doesn't understand how a pair of jeans can cost $200 (and sometimes I don't either), but he does appreciate a good outfit and he is constantly working on improving his look.

For Christmas, he informed me that he wanted some scarves, gloves and other stylish accessories. Sounds easy, but let me tell you, men can be more picky than women when it comes to style! 

Here are some of my favorites that I discovered in my attempts to shop for him:

This multi-stripe scarf form banana republic is a great option because it ads some color but it is still pretty neutral, allowing it to work with many different outfits. Plus, the stripes keep it "manly" enough for him to still want to wear it!
www.bananarepublic.com


Driving gloves. My husband has all of the ski gloves and warm weather "practical" apparel you can think of, but a nice pair of leather driving gloves is a great fashion piece to add to any man's wardrobe. They are still manly, yet the provide warmth and look stylish. I found a pair similar to this on at H&M.  (In case you haven't heard, there is a great H&M that just opened down on the 16th street mall!).

I have searched high and low to find a new overcoat for Matt (my husband) but it has been difficult. Matt is a smaller guy and slim-fit designs work best on him. In the world of men's overcoats, this can prove quite difficult. I found this coat on www.thisnext.com and LOVE it. It darts in at the right places and has a great length. As with women's overcoats, it is important that the coat hit just above the knee to avoid looking overwhelming. I think black is always a good and safe staple.


On a more casual note, I love men's loungewear. I love to steal it from my husband too! This happens to be a set from Nordstrom. It;s a nice fleece plaid bottom with a cozy top. Men will never ask for these things, but let's be honest, we love our cozy PJ's and men do too. When in doubt, I always advise to go a size up. No one wants to be in "tight-fitting" lounge wear!
www.nordstrom.com

I am LOVING these UGG Australia boots! These are probably at the top of my list for him. We love our Uggs, ladies. They are warm and comfortable and given the right outfit, they can be stylish too (please notice that I said "the right outfit!). This boot for men is waterproof, lined with wool (warm!) and looks great on. What a great accessory for him rather than those old snow-shoveling boots he always wears! (And if he's anything like my husband, he doesn't even need to know they are UGG's. All he needs to know is that they look good and are amazingly comfortable).
www.uggaustralia.com



When shopping for men, it's important to remember that most men don't put as much emphasis on brand name. They don't really care who made it, as long as it looks good and more importantly FEELS good. Take it from me - invest in stylish pieces for your man and he will end up being more and more interested in style than you could expect. After all, we know that once we start to feel like we look good, we want to keep that feeling going!

To help you put a face to the name, I have included a picture of my husband and I. We have been together for quite awhile but it is only in the past 6 months that he has really started to care about fashion and how he looks. Now, there's no stopping him. He looks great and he's doing it for him... not for me... which is the best motivator there is!





Some of my favorite places for men shopping:

- Nordstrom Rack
- Nordstrom
- H&M
- Banana Republic
- Ben Sherman
- Diesel
- Armani Exchange (as long as you don't get anything with a logo splattered all over it!)
- Sometimes Express (depending on their inventory at the time)


Happy holidays and happy shopping!
I welcome any questions, comments or suggestions!

Thanks,

Kristin @ Kristin Golden Image Consulting

2 comments: