Thursday, December 15, 2011

Sparkle and Shine the New Year's Eve!

Today is December 15 - meaning that Christmas - and New Years Eve are not too far away. It is most definitely not too soon to be thinking about that New Years Eve outfit.

Whether you are braving the crowds and hitting the streets downtown or enjoying a more intimate setting, you deserve to look and feel like a million bucks!

While my preference for outfit might change slightly depending on your choice in plans (if you are planning on hitting downtown for the night, you will want to bundle up), I am pretty clear across the board. This year, I love sequins, (faux) leather, heels, tights, shorts, tight dresses, denim, big jewelry, and mixing all of the above!

Here are some outfit ideas to help you ring in 2012 in a stylish way. Just remember, don't overdo it with any one theme. If you choose sequined shorts (I LOVE THEM!), then try and keep the top neutral. You get my drift.

Look number one:

Shorts and tights - I love sequined shorts, denim shorts, leather shorts... they all look super cute with tights!








Just make sure that your top matches appropriately. I love how the leather shorts are paired with a semi-neutral rock n' roll tee. I also love how the denim shorts are paired with a simple top and some fun accessories. Whatever the look, it's a MUST that you wear heels with this look! Some of my favs?


You can NEVER go wrong with a nude pump! But with black tights, an edgy, black pump might look more appropriate. 

Look number 2:

Sequins, sequins, sequins - I especially love the idea of pairing sequins with bright color, more casual pieces, and as a jacket!




The purple dress is my favorite!!! How fabulous that would look with a high nude heel and a black clutch! Killer!

Look number 3

Jewelry! The bigger the better... and the more the better! I have added some pics of some jewelry I love - chunky bracelets, large studded earrings, big cocktail rings... but whatever your style is, use it! If you love bohemian jewelry, then play it up - layer the bracelets and wear a big cocktail ring! New Years is about extravagance!







Look number 4

Leather and denim - I love leather and denim for everyday - but mix it up with some sequins, some colored denim, add some big jewelry, a killer heel, and you have a great New Years looks! I especially love the idea of colored denim with a back sequin top and a black heel. See below for a picture of some colored denim. My favorite brand - J Brand. They have so many colors to choose from, it's ridiculous! 





Look number 5

Finally, we have dresses. New Years Eve is notorious for dresses. I am always a fan of the stand-by little black dress (lbd) but, I also love the idea of adding some fun color this year, especially red. There are some great body-hugging "bandage" dresses this year that can found everywhere from Express to Nordstrom to Neimans. Whatever you do, make sure that the dress fits right and that you have the proper undergarments! There is no shame in investing in some Spanx, just to smooth everything out! 





Some other stuff to think about:

- When planning your look, don't forget to include makeup. I am always up for fake lashes and there is no better occasion than New Year's to wear them! Just make sure you apply them properly and as close to your natural lash line as possible.
- If you know you are going somewhere where you will be walking a lot, don't take your feet for granted. While you will be killing it in those adorable pumps, your feet might be ready to kill you. It is always a good idea to bring a pair of slip-on flats with you. Dr. Scholl's makes a nice fold-up pair that you can stick in your purse. Trust me, it will save you from limping home or worse, risking walking around shoe-less!
- Cameras will be flashing! It's New Years and everyone loves to get dressed up and document the evening with photos galore. One of my biggest pet peeves is when I spend a good amount of time getting ready and someone catches me in an awkward moment and ruins the look. I always suggest bringing your own camera and being the one who takes the pics (and asks other to take pics of you and your friends for you) - that way you can control which photos make it to Facebook and which ones don't. You also get to ensure that you have some photos that you love to make it a night to remember.
- Hair. There are so many different ways to do your hair and of course, it depends on your hair length and style. I have long, straight hair so one "rule" I always keep in the back of my mind is "down during the day, up for night" - besides, this will save you from having to mess with your hair all night!

Happy New Years Everyone! Be safe and welcome to a wonderful 2012!!!

<3 Kristin @ Kristin Golden Image Consulting

No comments:

Post a Comment